Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Before the work

I have been wanting a small sailboat for years. I watched and watched Craigslist for about 2 years. Then I saw what looked like the boat I was looking for. It was a 1963 Silhouette built in the U.K. by Hurley. The seller was asking $500 for her.
I called him and asked him if he would consider any trades. He said he was open to the idea. I ended up trading him a 1984 O'Brien windsurfer for the boat.
I arranged to go pick it up on Jan 2. He had told me that tires on the trailer were not roadworthy so I made arrangements to tow the boat to my wife's brothers house about 3 miles from his house. The trailer not being roadworthy was an understatement. We hooked up the trailer to my truck and started to drive to the nearest gas station to put some air in the half flat tires. It was about 2 miles away. We got to the gas station and pulled in next to the air hose and proceeding to put air in the tires. I then noticed that the drivers side wheel was leaning outward at about 25 degrees. I jacked up the trailer and pulled on the wheel and it come right off the spindle. There were no bearings left in the hub. We managed to push the boat to the back of the lot and headed home. I had to borrow a friends car hauling trailer to get her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment